Detroit Boys Rock
This initiative is dedicated creating a world where young black men and boys are empowered to create a life of their own design. Through workshops, facilitated sessions and other transformational programs this initiative will create a world for our young black men and boys such that:
- They are empowered and in action in creating a positive life of their own choosing.
- They are aware and inspired by their own personal magnificence and know that what the world tells them they should be is not who they are.
- They are clear that their own life has meaning and a purpose and they are the ones who get to define that.
- They are clear that they have a role that is necessary and vital in their community, in their family and are responsible for maintaining that role.
- They create transformation partnerships and friendships that move themselves and their communities forward
- They are clear they matter and that it matters that THEY succeed.
And because of that, the following will exist:
- There is a new found appreciation for fatherhood and what it brings, young men know that when they become fathers, their role is indispensable
- Mothers and fathers experience a sense of partnership in raising children and are responsible for always working together positively to maintain that partnership
- Detroit neighborhoods experience being safe, warm and inviting
- Senseless violence is a thing of the past and Detroit is the best place in the World for a child to grow up in.
- To empower and to challenge communities to reach out to young black men and empower and challenge them to use their talents and gifts to make their community a better place
- To bring to communities’ transformational workshops and other programs that empower young black men in their own personal journey
- Support our young black men in that journey to get over the hurdles and roadblocks they will face
To challenge the community to create a space for young black men in which they can grow up and provide a transformed world for future children.
- To reflect and support the principles and beliefs of AYE
- To sponsor and support participation in programs that empower young black boys and men
- Co-ordinate with other organizations in a way that support the purpose of the initiative
- To make schools, families, churches and communities aware of available programs and their benefits
- To support schools, families, churches and communities in doing these programs so they have a big impact and are set up for sustainability