Detroit Boys Rock
This initiative is dedicated to creating a world where young black men and boys are empowered to create and define for themselves what being a man is. They are clear that their own life has meaning and a purpose and, accordingly understand that they have a role that is necessary and vital in their community, in their family, in their schools and are responsible for maintaining, developing and expanding that role. The community needs them here, available and safe and cannot grow or prosper without them.
Through workshops, facilitated sessions and other transformational programs this initiative will create a world for our young black men and boys such that:
- They are encouraged and challenged to express their voice. There is a space for what they have to say and what they need to express safely and without judgement. What they have to say matters!
- They are empowered and in action in creating a positive life of their own choosing and design and empower themselves and challenge others to constantly challenge the ”norm”
- They are acutely aware of and inspired by their own personal magnificence and know that what the world tells them they should be is not who they are. They decide who they are.
- They are inspired to understand that people who look like them contributed to society and seek to understand the past as a point of reference from which to learn and not to live.
- They create transformational partnerships and friendships that move themselves and their communities forward
And because of that, the following will exist:
- There is a new found appreciation for black fatherhood and black manhood and what it brings. They know that their role is indispensable in their communities
- Communities experience a sense of partnership and see value in uplifting their young men and are responsible for always working together positively to maintain that partnership
- Detroit communities will know and appreciate the value of young black males and see them as vital to the city’s re-birth
- There will be a disruption to the “normal” in the lives of young black men and in turn the communities around them. They will not view the “way things are” as “the way things will always be”.
- Young black men will develop healthy friendships,partnerships and relationships that will continuously cause and support them to move positively forward
- To empower and to challenge communities to reach out to young black men and empower and challenge them to use their talents and gifts to make their community a better place
- To bring to communities’ transformational workshops and other programs that empower young black men in their own personal journey
- Support our young black men in that journey to overcome the hurdles and roadblocks they will face
- To challenge the community to be a space for young black men where their value is recognized, appreciated and demanded
- To reflect and support the principles and beliefs of this initiative and AYE
- To sponsor and support participation in programs that empower young black boys and men
- To empower young men to create topics/sessions and activities that interest them and also move the initiative vision forward in a way that maintains a sustained interest and achieves defined objectives
- Co-ordinate with other organizations in a way that support the purpose of the initiative
- To engage with schools, families, churches and communities aware to see how we can support their young men to redefine themselves
Join the discussion on Facebook Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DetroitBoyzRock/